Storm #1 preview
Justice League United #5 - Kelley Jones cover
This Kelley Jones variant cover will come out on Justice League United #5 in October, 2014.
Cliff Chiang Wonder Woman sculpt
DC Comics is promoting this 7.4" figure sculpt for a Feb 2015 release.
Mike Allred - the DC Heroes
The DC Comics' pantheon (with a few exceptions, to say the least) are spread out in this wave of moving superheroes from Mike Allred's Solo #7, 2007.
"Lucy" Promo poster - Scarlett Johansson
Alan Moore would like for you to boycott Hercules
Hollywood Reporter story on Alan Moore coming out against the film based on the writing of the late Steve Moore, a protest based upon some form of breach of contract between the deceased writer and comic book company Radical Comics:
"I would also ask that anybody out there who gives a damn about Steve Moore or his legacy not go to see this wretched film,” he said. “It is the last thing that Steve would’ve wanted. And I cannot un-recommend it too highly or anybody involved in it."
Justice League 3000 - Female Flash
The resurrected Justice League 3000 is thrust into the 31st century. However, their malfunctioning powers (and personalities) from less than perfect DNA regeneration has caused endless conflict and confusion for the team. Story written by Keith Giffen and J. M. DeMatteis.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes now at $245+ million
July 21, 2014: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes has retained the number one slot in theaters in the USA for another week, and has now built up an impressive $240,497,000 million after 10 days in release.
Captain America Winter Soldier at $712 million
July 20, 2014: With the release date for home video set at September 9, 2014, Captain America Winter Soldier is starting to wind up its long theater run. Now at 117 days it has accumulated a world wide gross of $712,726,981 million. This makes the film the #10 top earning superhero film of all time.
Top Earning World Wide Superhero Films
List Updated July 20, 2014
*Currently in release in movie theatres
- The Avengers (2012 Marvel Studios) $1,511,757,910 Billion
- Iron Man 3 (2013 Marvel Studios) $1,212,795,474 Billion
- Dark Knight Rises (2012 Warners) 1,081,036,828 Billion
- The Dark Knight (2008 Warners Bros) $1,004,558,444 Billion
- Spiderman 3 (2007 Sony) $890.9 Million
- Spiderman (2002 Sony) $821.7 Million
- Spiderman 2 (2004 Sony) $783.8 Million
- Amazing Spider-Man (2012 Sony) $752,216,557 ($262,030,663 Domestic)
- X-Men Days of Future Past (2014 Fox) $736,306,000 Million
- Captain America 2 - The Winter Soldier (Marvel-Sony-Perception) $712,726,981 Million
- Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Columbia/Sony 2014) $705,717,432
- Man of Steel (2013 Warners) $668,045,518 ($291,045,518 domestic)
- The Incredibles (2004 Buena Vista - Pixar) $631.4 Million
- Thor The Dark World (2013 Buena Vista) $639,317,634 Million ($205,517,634 Domestic)
- Hancock (2008 Sony) $624.4 Million
See a complete list: The Top Earning Super Hero Movies
Transformers IV at $886 million
July 20, 2014: The worldwide tally on Transformers Age of Extinction now at $886,257,000 million worldwide.
This means the fourth title in the series is quickly gaining on the record set in 2011 by Transformers: Dark of the Moon of $1.123 billion worldwide gross.
Free Batman Anniversary Issue Wednesday July 23
WEDNESDAY JULY 23 will be the Free Issue day for the 75th Anniversary of Batman. Comic book stores will be distributing a special free issue of Detective Comics 27 to Bat-fans as part of the promotions celebrating DC Comics famous hero.
The cover of the Free Anniversary issue is a combination of he Bob Kane 1939 issue of Detective Comics 27, and the Greg Capullo cover of Batman #zero from 2012.
Robert Crumb cover - 2004 New Yorker
Alex Toth - Hold Softly, Death Splash Page
Alex Toth artwork from 1970.
Tradd Moore art - Ghost Rider #6
Mike Allred Silver Surfer #3 cover
More Mike Allred art
"We need a plan..."
Review of the 1990 monster film/comedy Tremors.
Maleficent at $672 million
July 20, 2014: Crossing the $700 million mark is now a certainty: Maleficent at $697,167,000 million.
This number also means Maleficent is the largest grossing film of Angelina Jolie's career:
- Maleficent (2014) $670.7 million - Disney
- Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) $665.7 million - Paramount/Dreamworks
- Kung Fu Panda (2008) $631.7 million - Paramount/Dreamworks
- Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) Fox $478.2 million
- Shark Tale (2004) $367.3 million - Dreamworks
- Wanted (2008) $341.4 million - Universal
- Salt (2010) $293.5 million - Sony Pictures
- The Tourist (2010) $278.3 million - Sony Pictures
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) $274.7 - Paramount
- Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) $237.2 - Touchstone
More on Maleficent
For previous front page posts, consult the archives index.